Nearby in East Chatham, an old house had been demolished to enable this timber-framed house to be built. The owners had roughed in the stairs and wanted us to install all the finished surfaces and posts that one of the owners, a carpenter himself, had fashioned from rafters he salvaged from the original house. He suspected they were of chestnut. He got locally milled ash for the risers and side skirts and oak for the treads.
We assembled all that and fastened the posts in place, and added the wall paneling of local pine. The owner installed the cherry rails which he fabricated from trees on the property and the ballusters which, like the skirts and risers, were milled locally of local ash.
Albany Living Room Restoration 2012- This house circa 1930's needed plaster patching and complete painting. The crown, picture moulding and wallpaper strip were added.
Sunroom in same Albany house featured above: A new ceiling of beaded board and mullion strips, new ceiling fan, new wiring, floor structure and flooring repairs, plaster restoration and complete paint job.
Same sunroom but later with new storm windows. We restored the existing exterior casement windows, with wood repair, glazing and reglazing of old glass, new hinges and latches, and then added custom interior wood storms with interchangeable glass and screen inserts, brass hinges, latches, bolts and stays. Here it's dressed up for a Christmas party.
Shoji screens, one hung from a sliding rail. What is it hiding?
Ok, stairs, but what's that extra stuff there?
Stair extension, lightweight but sturdy, easily locks in place for access to finished attic, and sits on top of stairs when stowed, with rubber bumpers to stop it from sliding out.
Custom pine bookshelves to fit in a confined space
Holyoke Firehouse - The old floor joists become stairway structure.
Looking at the ceiling above, the near half has the old joists, an ample 2.75 inches by 13.5 inches, but none too strong for the 18 foot span. After replacing the farther half with new modern joists, the owner elected to keep the remaining old ones, and support them on the remedial wall that had already been built to hold joists up whose ends had rotted in the brick pockets that held them.
So we raised and adjusted the old joists to bring them to the same level as the rest of the new floor.
Note the old sistered beam above in the photo, reinforced by a steel tension rod. When such a rod is pulled tight and fastened at each end, it adds considerably to the strength of the wooden beam. This beam carries second floor loads across a wide opening in the center bearing wall of the firehouse.
Floor joists take on new life as stair structure
All of the darker brown members, stringers, ledgers and columns were made from the old "3 x 14" joists taken from the rear quadrant of the building as shown above. In these photos, temporary treads and 2 x 4 rails make it usable until finishes can be added.
Hidden below the left side of the photo, stairs go down into the basement.
The configuration of the new stairs differs from the original ones in the same tower.
CoIumns and posts wrapped and chamfered, Iower pine skirt to edge the soffit, and verticaI pine paneIing. Top raiIs are temporary.
Now with treads and risers, Iacking onIy the paint, neweI caps and top raiIs. And soffits on the undersides.
NeweI caps turned from IocaI white ash with a pine base. Ready for instaIIation and painting.
This customer needed a new wood stove installed in a basement room she was converting to an office. We were able to make modifications to the existing bookshelves, part of a whole wall unit, cut through the concrete wall and add insulated stovepipe outside going up past the roof line. The circular cuts in the shelves allowed a 1 inch airspace behind the shield, and the custom shield, made from a larger piece of stovepipe, left a 2 inch airspace from the stovepipe itself. Behind the shield, it never gets very warm at all.
Here we used the cutout from the plywood shelf as a clamping form, together with a piece of cork sheeting, to glue a slice of mahogany over the curved edge. We used routers to make the curves nice and smooth.